NEW PRODUCT FABRICATED BY EXTRUSION-BASED 3D PRINTING FROM MARINE BIO-WASTE
Programme 2 of PN III: Increasing the competitiveness of the Romanian economy through research, development and innovation
Subprogramme 2.1: Competitiveness through research, development and innovation
Project type: Experimental – demonstration project
Acronym: 3D BIOPRO
Contract 499PED / 2020
Funding Agency: UEFISCDI ROMANIA
- NATIONAL R&D INSTITUTE FOR NON-ERROUS AND RARE METALS – IMNR, Pantelimon – Coordinator
- UNIVERSITY OF CRAIOVA , Craiova – Partener
- NATIONAL R&D MEDICAL-MILITARY INSTITUTE “CANTACUZINO”, Bucharest – Partner
The project goal is to design and develop 3D printed products based on nanostructured hydroxyapatite (HAp) from natural sources, with improved biomechanical properties and controlled porosity for potential applications in bone reconstruction.
- Development of nanostructured hydroxyapatite from natural sources (whelk shells from the coast of Black Sea), for further use in additive manufacturing technique;
- Fabrication of an experimental model based on 3D printed hydroxyapatite products.
To our knowledge, this 3D printing methodology, based on own synthesized materials, is unique at national level;
- Biofunctional assessment of new 3D product:
a) Evaluation of (bio)mechanical properties of 3D printed products;
b) Preliminary in vitro tests on the biocompatibility and inflammatory potential of 2D HAp nanostructured materials;
c) in vitro tests on the biocompatibility and inflammatory potential of 3D HAp nanostructured materials;
d) Comparative studies regarding in vitro behaviour of the proposed experimental model based on 3D HAp products versus natural bone structure or „gold standard”.
- Dissemination and knowledge exchange;
- Strategy for further exploitation of experimental laboratory model (bone graft based on 3D
- nanostructured hydroxyapatite from natural sources) beyond the project duration.
- HAp nanostructured materials obtained by experimental design applied to hydrothermal synthesis; ;
- Specific applications of 3D products in bone tissue engineering will be defined based on (bio) mechanical properties;
- 1 competitive 3D material fabricated by integration of advanced manufacturing and processing techniques (hydrothermal synthesis followed by additive manufacturing);
- 2 ISI papers in high impact factor journals;
- 1 exploratory workshop will be organised to attract stakeholders.
Dr. Laura Madalina CURSARU
Project Director 3D BIOPRO
Phone: +40 21 352 20 48 / 132,
Passionate about research? We're hiring.
We're looking for Chemistry, Chemical Engineering and Technology, Material Science and Engineering, Physics, Mechanics and Mechatronics graduates.