Project H2020-ID 689515, 2016 – 2019
1. COBRE LAS CRUCES SA, Spain
2. KGHM POLSKA MIEDZ SA, Poland
3. Rudarsko-topionicarski basen Bor – Grupa, Topionica i rafinacija bakra Bor d.o.o. u restruktuiranju, Serbia
4. Somincor – Sociedade Mineira de Neves-Corvo, S.A., Portugal
5. Outotec (Finland) Oy, Finland
6. TECNICAS REUNIDAS SA, Spain
7. INSTYTUT METALI NIEZELAZNYCH, Poland
8. MINTEK, South Africa
9. Institut za rudarstvo i metalurgiju Bor, Serbia
10. BUREAU DE RECHERCHES GEOLOGIQUES ET MINIERES, France
11. AGQ Mining & Bioenergy SL, Spain
12. National R&D Institute for Non-ferrous and Rare Metals – IMNR, Romania
13. GUENTER TIESS, Austria
The INTMET approach represents a radical solution and a unique technological breakthrough to overcome definitively the limitations related to difficult, low grade and complex ores to achieve high efficient recovery of valuable metals such as Cu, Zn, Pb, Ag, and also critical metals like Co, In, Sb. Main objective of INTMET is applying on-site M2M and integrated treatment of the produced concentrates, combining innovative hydrometallurgical processes (atmospheric, pressure and bioleaching), and novel more effective metals extraction techniques (e.g. Cu/Zn-SX-EW, chloride media, MSA, etc). Additionally, secondary materials like mining (tailings) and metallurgical wastes will be added to the process for valorisation and metal recovery. The feasibility technical, environmental and economic of the entire approaches will be integrated to offer a real business solution. The final goal will be to ensure the economic viability of the entire INTMET process.
1. To develop a holistic integrated hydro- or biohydro-metallurgical process (combining different technologies and methods currently in process development), allowing on-site Mine-to-Metal (M2M) processing and direct extraction to yield high quality and added value metal products from:
• low grade and complex ores;
• secondary raw materials like tailings and metallurgical.
2. To increase the development stage of this technologies for the demonstration of the application and validation of innovations and new subprocesses in relevant environment, incorporating in the design of the integrated solution technic, environment and economic analysis.;
3. • To exploit and disseminate the significant breakthrough in the mining sector that INTMET represents, enabling the exploitation of current mines (reaching the end of their current economic life) and increasing raw materials efficiency; current and future potential detected extraction-sites following advanced M2M business model; and to foster cooperation among industries for the maximization of metals and other minerals recovery from by-products.
Within the project, INCDMNR-IMNR was tasked to elaborate an integrative process of pressure leaching that aimed to develop an innovative under pressure leaching process, able to effectively deal with the processing of low grade copper concentrates (<10-15% Cu), polymetallic concentrates (<10-15% Cu + Zn + Pb) and flotation intermediates resulted from flotation plants to produce high quality metal products and added value by-products.
The project website is here
Passionate about research? We're hiring.
We're looking for Chemistry, Chemical Engineering and Technology, Material Science and Engineering, Physics, Mechanics and Mechatronics graduates.