The Analysis Laboratory consists of two compartments:
- Chemical Analysis
- Physical and Structural Characterization
The Analysis Laboratory within INCDMNR-IMNR, is accredited RENAR (LI Nr.1056 / 16.04.2019) for:
- Determination of Cu, Fe, Mg, Mn, Ni, Zn content within aluminium, aluminium alloys and technology solutions, by inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectrometry ICP-OES;
- Determination of Cd, Ca, Pb, Au and Ag content by flame atomic absorption spectroscopy, in ores, concentrates and technological solutions;
- Qualitative phase analysis by X-ray powder diffraction of polycrystalline inorganic materials;
- Physical tests: petrographic examination for natural stone and aggregates;
- Metallographic tests: microscopic examination (metallography) for steels; determining the content of inclusions in steels; classification of graphite by visual analysis in cast iron; metallographic determination of the microstructure of sintered hard alloys; microscopic examination of welded joints of metallic materials.
The Analysis Laboratory can offer a wide variety of services, such as:
- establishing the chemical composition and structure of materials and products;
- determination of major elements and impurities in metals, alloys, metal powders, inorganic chemicals, ores, ceramic, refractory, composites, slag, minerals;
- determination of rare earth contents in different matrices, in metallic and non-metallic products;
- determination of metallic compounds in water, soil;
- thermal analysis for different types of materials,
- mineralogical and metallographic analyses through optical microscopy;
- Vickers microhardness testing;
- scanning electron microscopy and energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy.
ATOMIC ABSORPTION SPECTROMETRY
Through flame atomic absorption spectrometry, can be perform quantitative determination for the following elements: Cu, Co, Cd, Pb, Sb, Zn, Ni, Fe, Cr, Mg, Ca, Na, K, Rb, Li, Sr, Ga, In, as well as the platinic metals: Au, Ag, Pt, Pd, Rh.
INDUCTIVELY COUPLED PLASMA – OPTICAL EMISSION SPECTROMETRY (ICP – OES)
The ICP-OES, 725 model, allows the quantitative determination of more than 70 elements from the periodic table.
Bruker-AXS D8 ADVANCE Diffractometer equipped with a Cu (CuKα) radiation source and a scintillation counter and a graphite monochromator; Bragg-Brentano mounting and θ-θ vertical geometry. Software: The ICDD PDF 4+ 2021 database, Sieve + 2021 and DIFFRAC.EVA release 2019 software are used to process the obtained data. Applications: crystalline phase identification and quantification; crystallinity determination; crystallites size determination; micro deformation determination; crystalline structure characterization: indexing, crystal system, lattice parameters.
THERMAL ANALYSIS SetSys Evolution
SETSYS Evolution, Setaram, France, can perform DSC/TG thermal analysis. Specification: temperature range between 20°C – 1600°C; with a heat flow of 1°/min – 40°/min; gases used: argon, helium or air. The amount required for an analysis is approximately 20 mg. Alumina crucibles are used. Applications: determination of thermal behaviour of metals, alloys or oxides; determination of heat flow; kinetic studies.
MINERALOGIC ANALYSIS THROUGH OPTICAL MICROSCOPY with polarized, reflected and transmitted light on the following sample types: minerals, sedimentary rocks, magmatic rocks, igneous rocks, ore deposits, mining concentrates; slags and flying ashes from the metallurgical industry, etc.
METALLOGRAPHY BY OPTICAL MICROSCOPY on the following sample types: metals, special alloys, metal composites, hybrid composites, ceramic and metal coatings, semiconductors. VICKERS MICROHARDNESS testing.
SCANNING ELECTRON MICROSCOPY (SEM) with EDS Equipment Quanta 250-FEI.
Applications: surface topography and morphology identification, phase distribution and qualitative determinations of trace elements in phases, elemental Semi-quantitative composition, distribution of elements on the analysed surface.
CHEMICAL ANALYSIS Volumetry and gravimetry
Laboratory perform quantitative and semi-quantitative determinations using the following methods:
– Volumetry: Ag, Fe, Zn, Pb, Ca, Mg, Al, Zr, Sn, Fe2+.
– Gravimetry: Si, Sn, Stotal, SO42-, calcination loss, humidity.
PhD. Ana-Maria MOCIOIU
phone: +4021 352 2050/int 112;
fax: +4021 352 2049